A microphone is a necessary attribute for voice messages. It happens that you need to turn off the microphone to connect something else. With a computer, everything is simple, the microphone is connected and disconnected through a specific port. But with a laptop it’s more difficult, because the microphone is inside the device. We have to look for alternative ways.
Mute microphone on laptop
In all modern laptop designs, microphones are mounted inside. But the design can be a budget, and low-quality version of the device. Replacement may be necessary if it is necessary to supply more modern and high-quality equipment.
There are ways to disable:
- Try the instructions that came with your laptop. Most often, the ability to disable depends on the version of the operating system, and on the type of computer.
- The standard method is to go to the “Control Panel”. There we are looking for the section “Sounds and Audio Devices”. Going to it, open the tab “Sounds”. There we turn off the device. If you need to connect it later, we do the same.
- If a device from RealTek is connected to the laptop, there is a way to disconnect using the manufacturer’s utility. You must install it first. The microphone is muted through the “RealTek HD Manager”. This utility also allows you to adjust the volume.
- You can also use the combination of buttons on the keyboard to disable it. Many device models install an additional key that allows you to turn the microphone on and off. More often than not, there is a drawing on it. It works in combination with “Fn” (the key is located in the lower left corner between “Ctrl” and “Alt”).
- Another way to control the device is to use a program that transmits voice messages. For example, Skype. The program allows you to open access to control various audio devices that are connected to the computer.
- There are times when you need to disable it in order to avoid unauthorized access to it. There is no certainty that the previous methods will help in this. You can completely disconnect it from the laptop by disassembling the latter and pulling it out.
What difficulties may arise
Difficulties arise in rare cases. If one method does not work, you can try another. One of them will definitely work. A small problem may occur when disconnecting on different operating systems, as the action algorithm is turned off a little, depending on the version of Windows. For example, for the version of Windows 7 you need:
- Go to “Start :. Select “Control Panel”.
- In the panel we find the “System” section.
- We will have a window where the characteristics of the computer are described. On the left side there will be a small list. We are looking for the section “Device Manager”.
- Displays a window with a list of all devices that are currently connected to the laptop. We are looking for a microphone.
- Right-click and select disable.
For Windows XP, the algorithm will be slightly different. We do the following:
- Go to the “Start” menu. Select “All Programs”.
- Go to the "Standard".
- Now “Fun."
- Click on “Volume”.
- Our window opens. We are looking for “Recording Devices”.
- Click on “Options”. Now on the “Properties”.
- We are looking for the right microphone.
- Turn it off.
Important! Difficulties may also arise with the removal of the device. People who are not very well versed in the structure of the laptop, it is better not to open the device, so as not to damage the parts.
How to disable the built-in microphone on a laptop
Most often, the speaker is located above the laptop screen (in the middle). To completely disable it, you must remove the settings. To begin, press the button with the microphone on the keyboard. If there is no such button, go to the quick access panel (where languages are switched). Press the right mouse button and select “Recording Devices”. A window will flash on us. Select the “Record” tab. There will be a list of devices connected to the laptop. Select the microphone, press the right mouse button, and select “Disable”.
If in doubt in the previous method, you can also remove the driver. Then the microphone will definitely not work. To do this, in the same window (where the list of connected devices), select the microphone by clicking on it with the left mouse button. At the bottom there will be a button “Properties”. Click on it. A new window will appear. On it, in the upper part of the window, click “Driver”. A menu opens, where at the very bottom of the window there will be a “Delete” option. Click on it. Confirm the deletion. This ensures a complete shutdown of the device, even viruses will not be able to start it.
Attention! Another way is to lower the microphone sensitivity to zero. It will remain on, but no one can hear you.
The most effective way to mute is to remove the microphone. To do this, you need to disassemble the computer, and find the microphone inside. The location of the microphone is very easy to find, it is where the speaker is (in the middle of the frame above the screen). The frame is removed and a small microphone is visible behind it. We remove it. It is recommended that you first turn it off through the control panel so that the settings do not go wrong. Now you can connect other devices through the corresponding ports. The removed microphone is connected in the same way. We return it to its place and connect it through the “Quick Launch Panel” or “Control Panel”.